Many thanks for your patience - here's the application to be a paid blogger for Oberlin.
Students from all four years (five, if you're double-degree) are encouraged to apply! We'll be looking to build a team that will be able to share a wide variety of perspectives and experiences.
To be considered, please email me (ben dot jones at oberlin) by the end of the day on Saturday, September 13th with the following:
- A link to your writing portfolio. If you already have a blog, that's perfect - just send us the address. If you don't, please register for a free account at Blogger or Wordpress and post some entries - anything from ongoing narratives of your current adventures at Oberlin to things you've written in the past - whatever you want us to see that you feel will help us to understand your style. Please remember that we're looking for depth - the how and the why are more important than that what. Some of you have asked if you need to clean up the profanity in your current blogs, and the response is definitely no - I'm a big boy.
- Are you a regular contributor to sites such as Facebook or College Confidential? If you feel that your posts on forums such as these will be helpful, please feel free to include them.
- Are you enrolled in the Con, College, or both? What is your major, or intended major? ("I have no idea" is a perfectly reasonable answer. Unless you're a senior.)
- What you do (or plan to do) outside of class? (Athletics, student orgs, etc.)
- Where do you live when you're here in Oberlin (i.e. which dorm, or are you living off-campus)? Where did you grow up?
- Why do you want to blog for Oberlin? What do you feel that you can offer to prospective students who are trying to decide if Oberlin is a good match?
- Send a link to your favorite blog and let us know in a few words why it's your favorite.
- Come up with some weird question and answer it however you like.
That's about it... I look forward to reading your applications!